Water the Elixir of Life without which nothing can survive on Earth – No human will live more than 3 days!! CARES works on reducing the pernicious threats on environment, forest resources, natural habitats of the wild animals, putting at the risk of livelihood based on ruminants etc. through agro-forestry and innovative strategy on judicious use of Natural Resources.
CARES AND ENVIRONMENT AND NRM
- Unusual and unprecedented spells of hot weather are expected to occur far more frequently and cover much larger areas. Under 40 C warming, the west coast and southern India are projected to shift to new, high-temperature climate regimes with significant impacts on agriculture.
- A 2°C rise in the world’s average temperatures will make India’s summer monsoon highly unpredictable. At 4°C warming, an extremely wet monsoon that currently has a chance of occurring only once in 100 years is projected to occur every 10 years by the end of the century.
- An abrupt change in the monsoon could precipitate a major crisis, triggering more frequent droughts as well as greater flooding in large parts of India. India’s northwest coast to the south eastern coastal region could see higher than average rainfall. Dry years are expected to be drier and wet years wetter.
- Droughts are expected to be more frequent in some areas, especially in north-western India, Jharkhand, Orissa and Chhattisgarh. Crop yields are expected to fall significantly because of extreme heat by the 2040s.
- With India close to the equator, the sub-continent would see much higher rises in sea levels than higher latitudes.
- Sea-level rise and storm surges would lead to saltwater intrusion in the coastal areas, impacting agriculture, degrading groundwater quality, contaminating drinking water, and possibly causing a rise in diarrhea cases and cholera outbreaks, as the cholera bacterium survives longer in saline water.
- Eco-restoration through agro-forestry and alternative methods to plastic and chemical uses. Raised 450 hectares of agro-forestry beneficial for ecology and livestock thus to livelihood, 15000 medicinal and fruit bearing plants were planted, developed bio-gas-mass initiatives, distributed 8000 cloth bags, introduced 8 types of fertilizers, manures and pesticides under bio-technology and organic ways.
- Conducted awareness creation, tree based farming, agro-forestry development activities over the past 8 years covering 25 villages of three districts.
- Participate in community meetings and strengthen & support community committees and its actions
- Conducted studies and created awareness on Marine Agriculture of Seaweed Cultivation to promote income sources and livelihood options to coastal areas people and fishing communities.
- Contributions to the WLM forests and NSTR forests, wild animals and natural growth of the forests resources.
Natural Resources like Water, Land, Mineral and Energy are inevitable for life on Earth! Without which no life on Earth can survive!! Yet, the same things are being destroyed, over-tapped and polluted by one, but human beings only and even then no one CARES for them!!! It is a fact that 97% of the water on the Earth is salt water and only three percent is fresh water; slightly over two thirds of this is frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps. The remaining unfrozen fresh water is found mainly as groundwater, with only a small fraction present above ground or in the air. But within the time of this single generation, the surface ground water could no more to be seen and now in 40% of the states’ areas have no water even up to 350 feet down ground level too!! Such is the depletion of water resources in the state!!! So CARES’ do the following activities on our own:
- Awareness Creation over 10 villages of Repalli and Tenali Mandals
- Seminars, Orientation Sessions over schools and colleges
- Submitting PILs and Organizing Dharnas
- Formation of Water Conservation Committees (FWCCs)
- Appointing Water-Media Reporters in 10 GPs of 2 Mandals
- Mass cleaning-up campaigns of ponds, water resources, drinking water sources